Skip to Content

Will the Court appoint me an attorney in California family court if I cannot afford one?

No, there is no requirement that the court appoint counsel for indigent spouses/parties in dissolution proceedings to be laid at the county expense. However, indigent spouses/parties may qualify for fee waivers that would not require that they pay court fees or costs (such as filing fees or court reporter fees). The only exception to the appointment of an attorney for the party is for contempt proceedings. If there is a co tempt of court action filed by either of the parties, the court can appoint a public defender or comparable attorney for the limited purpose of defending against the action for which the other parent seeks prosecution and the parent is at risk of incarceration.
Share To: