Skip to Content

What kind of testing can I request if I suspect the other parent has a substance abuse issue?

The Court can make an order that a parent must submit to random alcohol or dug testing by means of a breathalyzer or urine test. The court cannot order a hair follicle test over the objection of either party. With urine tests, either the parent or the court-ordered facility provides the parent with a window of time to appear and submit to a urine test. There is usually a 4 hour window that cannot interfere with the parent's custodial time. The problem with urine tests is that they put extreme pressure on that parent's employer to permit them to leave and test. Also, many of these facilities have limited hours and may not be open on weekends when drinking is most likely to occur. A great alternative to a urine test is either a breathalyzer or an ankle bracelet. A breathalyzer may come at a greater cost, but can be done at almost anytime and any location which makes compliance much easier. In addition, many devices have a built in camera that have facial identification software that prevent a parent from having someone else breathe I to the breathalyzer. A final option is an ankle bracelet. An ankle bracelet provides 24/7 monitoring and works with the sweat glands of the parent wearing the bracelet. This is the most expensive option, but provides maximum protection against cheating the devise and maximizes compliance based on the ease of use and flexibility to have access to the advise at any time.
Share To: