Skip to Content

If I Was Raped, Does the Father Have Rights to the Child?


I was raped by the father of my child, does that parent have rights to custody and visitation with my child?

Under Family code 3030, a parent whose child was conceived as the result of raping the other parent AND who was convicted of that crime shall not be granted custody. Keep in mind that a mere allegation of rape is not sufficient to deny custody to the other parent. There must be an actual conviction of rape.

If you were raped and for whatever reason you did not report the rape for some time, you may be met with two distinct challenges.

Are you the victim of rape and need to speak to an experienced child custody attorney to make sure you and your child are safe, contact Covina family law attorney Paul Eads today.

Share To: