Skip to Content

Getting Spousal Support After a Short Marriage


Can I get long term spousal support if I have only been married for a short time?

Typically spousal support is ordered for 1/2 the length of the marriage, unless your marriage is in excess of 10 years. However, you may be entitled to additional support, called Palimony, if you have cohabited with your partner prior to marriage. This is known as a Marvin claim and must be brought as a separate civil action (cannot be tacked onto the dissolution action). If you lived with your spouse prior to your marriage and are curious whether you have a valid claim, please contact attorney, Paul Eads today.

Share To: