Skip to Content

How do I make my request for the court to appoint an attorney for my child?


Typically the request to appoint an attorney for your child (minor's counsel) must be made by filing a Request for Orders with the Court explaining what the justification for the appointment is. The court can also appoint minor' counsel on its own motion at your hearing if it feels that additional information is required (school records, interviewing child counselor etc.). The court typically orders the minor' counsel to be paid a retainer and makes a determination as to how fees would be paid (equal division or paid by 1 party). If the parties have limited resources, it is possible that the county will pick up the expense themselves with little to no contribution made by the parties.

Share To: